Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 21 February 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Emergency Coordinator and the direct supervision and guidance of the Resource Management Officer (RMO) in Cox’s Bazar, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for coordinating the financial functions of the sub-office.
S/he will assist in monitoring and overseeing the financial management for all activities in Cox’s Bazar including the oversight of financial expenditure and accountability; undertake preliminary financial analysis of projects in the Sub Office.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Provide input for and coordinate the preparation of donor financial reports in accordance with IOM regulations and established procedures.
Ensure that accounting data is properly entered in PRISM, in accordance with IOM financial rules and practices, and maintain accurate records of PRISM entries including hard copies of all vouchers and supporting documentations.
Review the monthly accounting returns for accuracy and ensure that these are submitted on a timely basis and are completed according to IOM Accounting Policies and Procedures.
Assist in forecasting cash flows according to activities in the sub office and ensure daily control of funds disbursed;
Follow up on advances/long pending balances in vendor accounts and work closely with relevant units to ensure timely settlement and to keep vendor balances to the minimum.
Make recommendations on procedural improvements and train national staff in the relevant areas of accounting and finance. Facilitate and support knowledge building and sharing in accounting and finance.
Liaise with other internal functional units of the Mission, and support the RMO in liaising with banks, donors and government counterparts and other stakeholders as required in the performance of the accounting function.
Supervise and train finance staff on IOM financial policies and procedures.
Perform such other related duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Commerce, Finance, Accounting, Business Management or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage.
• Experience in financial management, accounting and budgeting;
• Familiarity with financial oversight and public administration;
• Experience preparing reports, budgets, statistics and coordinate administrative activities;
• Good knowledge of human resources management;
• Knowledge of IOM/UN Common System regulations, policies and procedures;
• Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with international institutions;
• Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and SAP (PRISM)
• Previous work experience in the region an advantage;
• Knowledge of IOM/UN accounting system, software and procedures a distinct advantage;
• Knowledge of MS Office products and good computer literacy skills required.
Fluency in English is required.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. rmal
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 21 February 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 08.02.2018 to 21.02.2018
Requisition: SVN 2018/34 (P) – Finance Officer (P2) – Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh (55351264) Released
Posting: Posting NC55351301 (55351301) Released