Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Finance Specialist to support the transition from startup (by DRC’s Emergency Response team) to a more sustainable programme in Bangladesh. This is an opportunity for a strong Finance Specialist to support the process of nationalization of the finance management, provide capacity building in humanitarian financial management and DRC procedures, and establish country office policies and work processes to ensure compliance and effective support to the programme.
About the Job
DRC have been operational within the Rohingya response in Cox’s Bazar since November 2017, and are scaling up operations in 2018 to meet the emergency and longer term needs of refugees and host communities. DRC currently work in the sectors of protection, site management (CCCM) and shelter, with activities planned in WASH and longer-term support to host communities. DRC currently have a team of around 100 staff in Cox’s Bazar and 2 in Dhaka. The finance team consists of one finance manager (national) reporting to the Head of Support Services (international), 2 finance officers and 1 finance assistant. DRC are looking for a Finance Specialist to deploy to Bangladesh to support the team for three months.
Duties and priorities.
· Identify specific capacity building needs and provide targeted training or support accordingly
· Start up the compliance self-check in field offices and draft action points.
· Ensure HOSS is aware of main issues and gaps in capacity within finance team and make suggestions to resolve this on a permanent basis
· Ensure Master Budget is updated donor funds properly allocated
· Develop the capacity of the team and deepen understanding of their roles through provision of technical support and information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
· Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews
· Effectively stay abreast of donor and DRC regulations, and train DRC team members on these regulations
· Provide coaching and capacity building to the team on finance, grants management, and compliance matters, ensure effective project financial management and spending
· Follow up with team to ensure timely submission of accountancy as per DRC internal quality standards and deadlines and submission of accurate financial reports
· Ensure offices (CXB and Dhaka) maintain accurate physical and electronic records for all financial transactions
· Ensure continuous compliance to DRC internal quality standards and donor regulations during project spending lifetime
· Prepare and implement staff capacity building action plan by providing trainings, mentoring in good grant management practices and DRC finance procedures.
· Follow up with field teams to ensure timely submission of accountancy as per DRC internal quality standards and deadlines
· Support team on maintaining accurate physical and electronic records for all financial transactions
· Support the Finance Manager to lead the process of developing/revising project budgets in coordination with Program Development and Program Management teams in line with donor guidelines
General Finance Management in Emergency
· Ensure provision of accurate information on pipeline funding, expenditure and gaps to Country Director in order to inform funding decisions
· As a member of the second wave of emergency staffing, working in emergency conditions, provide extra capacity to the team to manage complex situations (short term funding horizons, government clearances to spend) in this phase
· Support the finance manager in ensuring regular follow up on temporary coded posting and monitoring of flows
· Support the finance manager on the pipeline projections and funding gaps for SMT.
· Collaborate with HQ finance and support the finance manager to ensure all reports due are completed.
· Plan and prepare for all reports within the year.
· Any other relevant duties assigned by the line manager
To be successful in this role you must have:
• At least bachelor degree in finance related fields
• High proficiency with MS Excel spreadsheets
• At least 2 years of international practical experience in a financial management position
• Have proven working experience with UNHCR, ECHO, Danida and other UN donor guidelines in budgeting and reporting
• Have the ability to work under pressure, with minimal supervision, and in a culturally diverse team
• Have full proficiency in spoken and written English
• Be flexible and adaptable, with excellent planning, management and coordination skills
• Well-developed skills in staff management, supervision and capacity building
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence:You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 3 months with possibility of extension depending on need and funding
Level: A12 or A13 depending on experience
Designation of Duty Station: Unaccompanied
Start date: ASAP
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
For questions regarding the vacancy please contact Tess Elias, DRC’s Team Leader in Bangladesh, firstname.lastname@example.org
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
HOW TO APPLY: