Job Description / Responsibility
• The recruit will be working directly with the project team at James P. Grant school of Public Health, and Bangladesh Legal Aid Services Trust, a prominent rights-based organization in Dhaka. We are inviting applications for Legal Research & Advocacy Associate.
• General Responsibilities:
• Conduct legal research and mapping of all codes and laws relating to child marriage (and connected issues) and all the legal contradictions between these. The individual should be able to identify relevant statutes and review secondary sources to understand how the specific issue of child marriage fits into a broader legal and social context including the SRHRs of children within and outside of marriage, marital rape, recognition (or not) of sexual consent within marriage, breach of promise, sexual abuse of children/child brides, domestic violence;
• Undertake field visits to project sites, such as legal clinics, and conducting interviews/ discussions with key stakeholders as required;
• Analyze findings from legal research & tensions to feed into social aspects of the research and vice versa;
• Join feedback sessions/meetings with on-ground SHOKHI staff once a month (& maybe other ECM-relevant programs);
• Assist the project team in mapping and assessing SHOKHI communication materials and methods (related to child marriage): fact sheets, posters, skits, others; also look into communication materials of other programs related to Child marriage;
• Work closely with BLAST and project team at JPGSPH to share findings and contribute to idea development for information materials;
• Collaborate with JPG/BLAST to design/develop agendas for policy dialogues and stakeholder meetings with goal of engaging and advocating for ending ECM.
Master’s Degree, preferably in Development / Law/ Anthropology / Social Science /Education/ Communications / Journalism / Public Health or related subject;
• 3 to 4 year(s)
• 3-4 years’ work experience in policy advocacy, communications, learning or community outreach; experience of social and behaviour change communication (SBCC) a plus;
• Training in and familiarity with Bangladeshi legal context.
• Knowledge of issues relating to child marriage and the sexual, reproductive and health rights of adolescents and girls/women.
• Ability to conduct informational interviews with policy, program, and legal professionals.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills both in Bangla and English, translation skills from Bangla to English & vice-versa, proficiency in MS Office;
• The person must be a problem-solver and have a can-do attitude, be confident and comfortable contacting and communicating with a wide range of people of all ages and lifestyle preferences in a sensitive, effective, and professional manner
• Excellent analytical skills, ability to see linkages between issues and concepts.
Interested candidates are advised to send an application with a complete CV to: email@example.com by 10 November, 2016. Please mention in the subject line of your email: Legal Research & Advocacy Associate.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from qualified women and minorities candidates.
Application Deadline : Nov 10, 2016