• UNITED NATIONS ENTITY FOR GENDER EQUALITY AND THE EMPOWERMENT OF WOMEN
• VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NO. UNWOMEN/ SC/ Gender Adviser/ 2016
• Organization: UN Women Bangladesh (Joint with UNHCR)
• Reports to: Programme Specialist
• Type of Contract & Current Grade: Service Contract, SB4
• Contract Duration: 1 year
• Duty Station: Cox`s Bazar, Bangladesh
• Starting Date: 01 February, 2017
• Visit this link to view job detail: http://hotjobs.bdjobs.com/jobs/UNWomen/UNWomen2a.htm
Job Description / Responsibility
• Under the overall guidance of the UN Women Country Representative/ Programme Specialist, with the support of the UNHCR Senior Protection Officer and the direct supervision of the Senior Gender Advisor the Gender Advisor will support the implementation of the following key activities:
• 1. Programme design, implementation and monitoring:
• Actively participate and support activities to implement the gender strategy.
• Support in the coordination of project activities with related and parallel activities both within UN Women, UNHCR and external parties.
• Coordinate with the support of the Implementing Partner (TAI) the implementation of life skills programs
• Contribute to the development of UN Women Annual Work Plans (AWPs) and corresponding Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting Plans, ensuring that programmes to improve the status of women in the refugee camps are reflected
• Monitor implementation of projects and initiatives, for example the community-based shelter project. Identify challenges and work with refugees, partners and UNHCR and UN Women colleagues to resolve them. Document successes and lessons learned.
• Prepare monthly and quarterly progress reports and organize monthly and quarterly progress reviews on trends and general situation of gender equality in camps.
• 2. Capacity building and partnership development:
• Prepare, coordinate and conduct trainings and capacity building programs in gender equality, and GBV
• Design and implement capacity building training activities to enhance skills and knowledge in results based management and systematic quality assurance and regular technical support to Implementing Partners and the operation of SGBV center in the camps.
• Participate in weekly meetings with women support groups and leaders and gender focal points to strengthen their capacities and knowledge. Provide in practice training and support.
• Identify and develop capacities and skills of women leaders and lessons learned the areas of emphasis to guide camp improvements and future strategic development planning;
• Develop capacity building tools, including training materials and packages for refugees
• Support UNHCR teams, for example the Community Services Unit, in the implementation of awareness raising activities with different groups in the camps.
• 3. Inter-agency coordination support:
• Support UNHCR International / Senior Gender Advisor on the implementation of different activities and programs as required.
• Collaborate with inter agency partners/colleagues on refugee camp development and planning of programmes
• Maintain communication and collaboration with UN Women programme units for technical assistance, programme coordination and joint advocacy.
• Support the generation of new ideas, including networking and learning events;
• 4. Support to advocacy and knowledge management:
• Represent UN Women in meetings as delegated/appropriate;
• Support knowledge exchange, networking and joint advocacy of UNHCR as requested.
• Represent UN Women in national and international fora as requested;
• Provide inputs to advocacy and public communication strategies.
• IV. Impact of Results:
• The impact of the Gender Advisor’s role will be to support changes in the refugee camps in order to achieve positive outcomes for women and girls by:
• Supporting implementation of initiatives that directly address key issues of gender equality and women’s social, economic and political empowerment.
• Enhancing the capacity of refugees, partner NGO staff and UNHCR staff to ensure an enabling environment for women’s equality and empowerment.
An advanced University degree (Masters level) in social sciences, political science, international affairs, local development, international development studies, gender/women’s studies, human rights or a related technical field.
• At least 2 year(s)
• At least 2 years of directly relevant, progressively responsible experience with the development projects.
• Specialized knowledge or experience in at least one of gender-based violence, women’s participation in decision-making or women’s economic empowerment for women.
• Demonstrated skills in capacity development and programme development or implementation related to gender equality or women’s empowerment.
• Familiarity and experience with humanitarian system coordination and results-based management would be a distinct asset.
• Language Requirements: Outstanding oral communication skills in Bangla. Fluency in oral and written English is required.
• CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES:
• Integrity: Demonstrating consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
• Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
• Cultural Sensitivity/ Valuing diversity: Demonstrating an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrating an international outlook, appreciating differences in values and learning from cultural diversity.
• CORE COMPETENCIES:
• Ethics and Values: Promoting Ethics and Integrity / Creating Organizational Precedents
• Organizational Awareness: Building support and political acumen
• Developing and Empowering People / Coaching and Mentoring: Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation at the community level
• Working in Teams: Building and promoting effective teams
• Communicating Information and Ideas: Creating and promoting an enabling environment through open communication, especially with local women groups
• Self-management and Emotional intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
• Conflict Management / Negotiating and Resolving Disagreements: Address conflicts proactively, acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
• Knowledge Sharing / Continuous Learning: Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning
• Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Fair, transparent, creative and informed decision making.
• FUNCTIONAL COMPETENCIES:
• Ability to pragmatically apply in-depth knowledge and experience of issues and practices in the fields of gender equality and women’s empowerment to humanitarian context.
• Strong communications skills, and experience in presenting evidence and ideas for policy and programme.
• Proven analytical and problem solving skills.
• Effectiveness in establishing and fostering good relations with humanitarian counterparts, UN agencies, NGOs, national and local partners.
• Ability to promote knowledge management and a learning environment in UNHCR and UN Women through personal example
• Ability to contribute to strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
• Ability to contribute to the formulation. Implementation, management and monitoring of projects
• Knowledge of financial management, contract, asset and procurement, information and communication technology, general administration as it relates to programme management.
• Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
• Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
This position is for Bangladeshi nationals only. Interested applicants should apply for the vacancy, using the ‘Personal History Form – P 11’ and the latest CV. Application to this vacancy should be sent to email@example.com. Please insert Vacancy Announcement Number in the Subject of the E-mail. Applications without the Vacancy Number or with the incorrect Vacancy Number will not be accepted.